Sunday, October 24, 2010

An Easy, Visual Way to Prepare a Lesson

You've probably noticed that the lessons in the manuals all follow a structured pattern. I find it easier to understand and organize information if I can see it in a more visual way. I like to use a chart like the one above as I plan a lesson.

I read through the lesson and the associated scriptures one time fairly quickly. Then I go back and write out the purpose of the lesson in my own words in the appropriate section of the chart. For example, in Gospel Doctrine class lesson #38, the stated purpose is:

To help class members understand that Jesus Christ is incomparable in his devotion to his people and that he has a great work for them to do. 
 
I might restate that as:

Jesus Christ is completely devoted to us, and he asks some things of those who follow him.

Then I go through the lesson again more slowly. Hopefully, the Spirit will help me decide which scriptures I need to focus on, and some ideas on how to present them. I write these ideas in the Scripture Presentation section.

I then plan the attention activity and the conclusion.  The lessons in the manual usually have a suggested attention activity, but any part of the lesson can be made into an attention activity by the use of some visual aids, or an object lesson, etc.

For example, part of the purpose of lesson #38 is to point out that no one can do for us what the Savior can do. I ran across an idea HERE that can be adapted to become an attention activity:

Show a copy of the yellow pages and say that when we have a problem that we need help with, we used to check in the yellow pages, and we could usually find someone to call from A to Z. Now we just Google it. But what do we do when we need forgiveness for a sin, or comfort in the loss of a loved one? Only the Savior can help us with many things we need.

Here's a blank copy of the chart in case anyone might find it useful in helping plan future lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment